How digital access to health advice empowers employees.
If someone asked you how many stars are in the Milky Way, how would you go about finding the answer? The thought of consulting an encyclopedia or even a textbook would probably never cross your mind; you’d go straight to the internet. Similarly, even if you knew someone who had the answer, you wouldn’t write them a letter or send a telegraph when a quick text, email, or phone call would be far more expedient.
So then why is it when employees have questions about their well-being, they often get referred to antiquated, static resources like pamphlets and CD-ROMs? With all the technology available to both individuals and organizations, employers should be eager to leverage the speed and accuracy digitized information affords. For example, it’s very likely that everyone at your organization owns a smartphone, so why not transfer all the content to an app or website? Or better yet, you can save yourself the hassle of having to manually upload all your resources by simply subscribing to an existing employee well-being platform like LifeSpeak.
The benefits of digitized wellness resources
- Accessibility — At many organizations, if employees have questions about health (coverage, treatments, etc), they must first speak to HR to be pointed in the right direction. Not everyone has time for or is comfortable with this, which creates a number of barriers to access. The ultimate result is that employees either experience delays in receiving support, or they don’t get it at all. Putting resources online bridges this gap by enabling employees to find the answers they need without having to jump through hoops. Wherever they are, whenever they require assistance, they can simply sign in online for help.
- Confidentiality — Another problem with requiring employees to talk to HR is that sometimes the conversation can get rather personal. Of course, human resources managers are trained to respect employee privacy, but even under the best circumstances many people prefer the anonymity of the internet. With a digital library of resources, no one has to know who’s accessing what. Employees can feel reassured knowing their inquiries are completely private.
- Immediacy — Employees shouldn’t have to wait until they’re at work and their HR manager has a free moment to help them. The sooner they find answers, the sooner they can work towards addressing their issue. Digital information in the form of videos, podcasts, and tip sheets can be made available 24/7 to thousands of people at once, making them a highly efficient alternative.
- Accuracy — Remember a few years ago when the scientific community decided Pluto was no longer a planet? Think of all the books that were written prior that now contain false information. You run the same risk if your organization is passing static documents to your staff. Digital files are far easier to update and therefore can provide the most accurate resources for your employees.
- Quantity — Before LifeSpeak went digital, we offered in-person trainings to our clients. For each training we had to find speakers, book spaces, and, of course, fill seats. It went well, but before long we realized we could help far more people and share so many more resources by distributing our content online. Now, instead of covering merely a handful of subjects during live sessions, our digital library contains over 1800 trainings!
Let us help you help your staff
Digitizing all of your employee resources can be a tall order. Fortunately, we’ve done all the work for you. Our library is packed with videos, podcasts, and tip sheets on all kinds of topics your employees care about. From mental and physical health to relationship and financial advice, parenting and caregiving tips, and professional development tools, we have everything your employees need to thrive, both at work and at home. Book a free demo today to learn more.