7 Ways to Reset Your Goals During Unpredictable Times
By Hina Khan, Success Coach and Registered Psychotherapist
It would be an understatement to say that 2020 has been nothing short of unpredictable, unforgiving, and full of more plot twists than a daytime TV soap opera.
The year of the pandemic has caused inner and outer turmoil for many of us. Disrupted businesses, isolation, fear, and clouds of uncertainty and doubt have derailed many personal and professional goals. You may have gotten the sense from others around you that this is a throwaway year, and that the best we can do is just hold on and hope for the best in the new year.
But what if we flipped the script? What if instead of simply trying to wing it in 2021, we have the chance to build this year into a powerhouse of opportunities and wealth? What if you could make 2021 one of your best years ever?
Let me ask you a quick question: If 2021 could end in the way you want it to end, what would that look like for you?
Don’t think about what is happening around you right now as you ponder this. Don’t allow circumstances to sway you into thinking small.
Basing your goal on the current conditions, instead of what you think is possible in the climate at the moment, doesn’t work because it doesn’t stretch your thinking. Big goals don’t rest on the foundation of what’s been done before or what you think can be done. They burst forth from the soil of imagination, fantasy, and true desire.
SO HOW DO YOU CONNECT BACK TO A GOAL THAT NOT ONLY CHALLENGES YOUR OWN THINKING BUT IS WORTHY OF YOUR TIME AND ENERGY?
Here are seven ways to create a goal which will show 2021 who the real boss is:
- Be the seed, not the rock – shift your mindset from a fixed one to a growth one. You can’t create when you’re thinking from the place of the rock – unmovable. See yourself coming from the seed – always growing. Stay open to all possibilities and come from a place of curiosity. When you make that shift, then everything seems possible.
- Determine your want – think of what it is you want…what you really want. Don’t worry about the “how” of it, but just focus on the goal. Don’t think of what you think others think you should do. Focus solely on your wants and desires in your own life. What excites you and also makes you feel a bit nervous at the same time? Think of yourself in 2021, and looking back on 2020. Did it make you happy?
- Challenge your beliefs – what beliefs would the person who achieved that goal have? Determine these and start living them today. Live and breathe these beliefs, discarding any other limiting beliefs which bar you from hitting your goal. This will be the most challenging part but stick with it. It will pay off.
- Start with one step – audit your daily habits and start to change the ones which aren’t productive. Don’t tackle a whole slew of them at once. Pick one or two at most and change them into productive habits. Sleep in and always rushing around in the morning? Get up 20 minutes earlier. Negative self-talk? Create positive affirmations to change how you speak and think. One step at a time.
- Work from the goal – the problem most people have is that they work towards the goal, rather than from the goal. When we are “chasing” after our goals, we are reinforcing the idea that it’s outside of us, and we come from a place of scarcity. When we come from the goal, we are taking the thoughts and actions of someone who has already achieved it, which makes things much easier to manifest it.
- Stay focused – it’s easy to get distracted by other people’s opinions, your own fears, and other outside influences. It’s common for us to want to switch the goal to something easier or to come up with something completely different. That’s your paradigm kicking in. Be singular in your focus and stay with the goal, regardless of how you’re feeling.
- Connect Emotionally – One of the most important actions we can take when tackling our goals is staying emotionally attached to it. Get excited about it! When you think of it, you should feel butterflies in your stomach. Imagine what it would be like when you reach it. Hold onto that emotional connection. This is the only way that you will remain loyal to the goal. When you don’t care too much for it, your actions will reflect that.
Make 2021 the year that you’ll look back on for different reasons than others will. Be the small, but powerful, minority of those who not only crushed their goals but exceeded them. If you can make it during these times, then you can do it at any other time. It all starts and ends with you and your mindset.
Hina Khan, Success Coach and Registered Psychotherapist, As a Success Coach and registered psychotherapist, Hina Khan has been a student of the mind, human behaviour, and human potential for over a decade. Hina guides and mentors people to work through seemingly unbreakable barriers, whether it be creating quantum leaps in their business or exceeding person goals. She does this by exploring and challenging the thoughts and beliefs that hold so many of us back. Then through extensive work, those thoughts and beliefs are replaced with ones which help to supercharge her clients’ growth. Hina has found that no matter how gifted, talented or brilliant a person is, if we don’t deal with our paradigms (limiting sub-conscious beliefs) we can never truly soar and have the postive results we are capable of creating in our personal and professional lives. Hina believes coaching is a powerful tool for change as one aligns with their purpose, vision and goals, allowing them to have mastery in both their personal and professional lives. She has trained extensively with her mentor Bob Proctor and is one of the top consultants for the successful “Thinking Into Results” program. Her extensive training at the distinguished Centre for Training in Psychotherapy anchors her coaching expertise. Hina is also a familiar face in television and is called on as an expert for a number of programs.